All we need are goals
So, how did I do…?
First, my specific goals for August were:
- Finish and upload that project. So close… so close and yet so far…
- Finish and upload one of the t-shirts. Nope.
- Write at least four blog posts about things I like, rather than rant about things. YES! Finally got one!
- Ink the comic page. Nope.
- Teach myself about topic that can’t be revealed and begin architecting a tool. I failed to appreciate what being asked to take over System Engineer duties for my department would do to my work load and more importantly my ability to think after each work day. So, I got some of the studying in, but that’s it.
And how about the more general goals for the year? Each goal is paired with some specific tasks based on the notion of trying to replace a bad habit with a good one:
Write more, rant less. My tasks are: listen to non-political podcasts or audiobooks every week; spend at least one lunch break a week reading one of my ebooks instead of the news; continue to spend at least half of my lunch break writing; give myself a monthly quota of blog posts about things I love; set specific monthly writing goals in each check-in.
With the Hugo voting closing at the end of July, I was no longer trying to read all those remaining novels. So I picked up two of the ebooks I had been reading before. I’ve been continuing to listen to a lot of the new podcasts. I didn’t do so well on the writing during my lunch breaks, but a big part of that has been that I’m squeezing my lunch breaks down frequently because of the new responsibilities at work.
Take care of myself. My tasks are: get back in the habit of waking up on weekends at nearly the same time as work days; get back in the habit of making weekly meal plans together; get back in the habit of setting up my pill-minder every week.
My sleep schedule is a little better, but still not right. The weather continued to mess up our plans a lot, though we did a little better at the meal planning in August. I have been keeping my pill-minder set up and took my meds at the scheduled time throughout the month.
Enjoy time with friends. My task is to make an effort at get-togethers to focus on asking leading questions and otherwise try to up the interaction.
I still tend to babble more than I listen. But we did have some nice socializing time with several friends.
Paint, draw, and make music. The one specific task is to draw or doodle some fan art for projects I love.
I fiddled with the comic page that I failed to ink. That was about it.
My tasks for August are:
- Upload that project.
- Finish and upload one of the t-shirts.
- Write at least four blog posts about things I like, rather than rant about things that outrage or irritate me.
- Ink the comic page.
- Finish the timeline work I started on novel two.