You never know where you’re goin’ ’til you get there! (or, Revising my goals)
The big goals now are mostly the same, but I’ve tweaked them a bit and decided to rearrange their priority:
Take care of us: reduce and prioritize. The move has changed a lot of things, and left us with a bunch of new tasks. People kept warning me before the move that it always takes longer to unpack than you think, for instance. And so far they’ve been right. It’s important to remember to take rests, not to let ourselves stress about things, and so on. However, not having the house quite as organized as we would like and so forth contributes to our stress level. So I’m going to count everything we do to further the unpacking and organizing of the house in this category, too. Which means this is no longer a separate main goal.
Don’t get mad, stay busy. My tasks are: write about things I love; listen to music and audiobooks more and podcasts less; spend at least half of my lunch break writing; set specific monthly writing/editing goals in each check-in.
Write, submit, and publish. More than half the year is gone and I’ve only submitted to two places. I have consolidated all of my notes for the revisions to the first novel. I spent much of July trying to get the editing/revision pass finished. While I need to work on finding other places to submit shorter work, I also need to get the big stuff done.
My specific tasks for June and July were:
- Get back into the rhythm of editing the novel. Only so-so. I got work done, but I haven’t got new habits. Considering eight weeks of unplanned overtime as a mitigating factor, I’m going to consider this a mixed success.
- Write at least two blog posts each month about things I like, rather than rants or commentaries. Done. Two one month and three the other!
- Get the iris bulbs, monitors, and other things that we want to give away handed off to people who said they wanted them. We got a lot of stuff handed off, but there are still several people who wanted iris bulbs that I haven’t hooked up with since digging up the irises. So, half done.
- Go through the rest of the Christmas decoration bins and finish that purge. Done! Finished! Completed! They are out of here, and the small number of boxes we had room for in the walk-in closet contain all the Christmas ornaments we kept.
- Write something that isn’t in one of the novels. Sort of. I’ve written several things that I’m calling “prose skits.” They are stand alone vignettes that don’t have a traditional plot an resolution. But all of them are at least related to my fantasy novel series thus far.
- Make significant progress on revising the first novel. Another sort of. I got through several more chapters, but a lot less than I hoped for.
It’s a mixed bag, but there was at least some progress on every task.
So, for August my tasks are:
- Revise, revise, revise the novel.
- Write at least two blog posts about things I like, rather than rants or commentaries.
- Write at least two blog posts about the writing process.
- Complete my action items from the last Corporate Board meeting.
- Get more stuff handed off and finish cleaning out the veranda.
- Get gaming sessions scheduled.
- Review calls for submissions and figure out something to write for one of them.
Wish me luck!